Monday, October 9, 2017

Magic Kingdom 2017 Plan: A Realistic Approach

Today is Part 1 of my new plans for the Walt Disney World Resort. These are my for fun, hypothetical plans for how I would expand and improve the 4 parks of the Resort. I last published plans for these parks 2 and a half years ago, and a lot has changed. New attractions have opened and are coming soon to the parks, and I think I have improved as a designer as well. Plus the maps are a jump in quality.

For each of the parks, I am actually planning to do multiple versions that explore different goals. At the least, I plan to do a realistic plan that looks at what I think could really be done in the next few years and a dream buildout plan where I go full bluesky with no limits.



This first post is the realistic approach to the Magic Kingdom. The corresponding dream plan will follow in just a week or two. There's some elements from this plan that will be repeated there, but plenty of new as well. So let's jump into what I am proposing for the immediate future of the Magic Kingdom.

Including the real things that have been announced, this plan features 13 additions or changes on a variety of scales. In this plan, I really tried to focus on adding or refurbing, not removing attractions unless they are already on the decline. And these are all things that I think could really happen. 

First, outside the park, I show an expanded Monorail Station. The Monorails and the rest of the transportation system from the TTC to the park have somewhat of a capacity and reliability problem. An obvious solution is new Monorails that are larger and longer to hold more guests. I show the station being extended by one car length for this hypothetical updated system. Transportation is a huge focus right now and this seems like a great first step to work out this problem. 

Inside the park, the upcoming Main Street Theater is shown on the East Side Street. The theater shown is the same size and scale as the Hyperion in California Adventure. 

In the Hub, I have replaced the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant with a new Table Service/Club 33 style restaurant, called Walt's. The architecture is altered to place the restaurant in Main Street, not Tomorrowland. The facade is loosely inspired by the Saratoga Bottling Plant in Saratoga Springs, New York, the city that inspired the architecture style of the parks Main Street. The rooms are based on the history and lands of the park, and the main room overlooks the Hub with prime views to the castle. We know that the parks are wanting to add Club 33 style locations and more high value dining, and this is an unused prime space, so this seems like an obvious addition to me. 

Moving to Tomorrowland, the Tron ride is shown adjacent to Space Mountain. In this plan, I suggest refurbing the existing Autopia with electric vehicles, which would be an improvement in efficiency and long term cost, plus improve the surrounding environment by eliminating the gas smell and loud noise. This is something that seems like an obvious long term benefit if the Autopia is to existing long term. 

To replace the basically dead Stitch attraction, my plan proposes restoring the guest favorite Alien Encounter, reworked to be somewhere between the two versions on the intensity scale. I never saw the original, but I know it was popular and scary and would be celebrated if brought back. This would be a relatively easy restoration, because so much of the infrastructure is still intact between versions. 

The major addition to the land in my plan is a new dark ride based on Big Hero 6 to replace Carousel of Progress. This is the best remaining expansion space on this side of the park, so realistically, I think it will eventually be taken at the expense of the attraction currently there. I still believe the best plan for the Carousel of Progress is for it to be relocated to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. The new dark ride could be based in a science showcase setting, which would fit into Tomorrowland well. Using the futuristic science and tech frame to get into the attraction, it could then expand into a more adventurous story about the Big Hero 6 team using the technology of the future. The science showcase area could also feature a new meet and greet with the team and Baymax, relocated from EPCOT. We know that there is the goal to add more IPs to the parks, and this is one that actually could fit well in Tomorrowland, so I think this is a great solution to expand the land. 

In Fantasyland, there is not much space for easy additions. Plus, it is still relatively fresh from the recent Fantasyland Forest Addition. The one addition I have in this plan is a new circus themed dark ride to the north of the land. This would only require shifting the backstage road and relocating the meet and greets in the current tent. The new attraction entrance and queue would be in that tent and the meet and greets would be in the unused small tent to the right. The ride would be a Mickey led trip through the wonders of the circus, with a variety of characters performing acts. This is of course based on the never realized dark ride developed for Disneyland. This is an easy expansion pad with a potential theme that we know has been developed, so I could see this happening successfully. 

Over in Liberty Square, The Hall of Presidents is refurbished into an attraction more like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. The bigger addition is a Haunted Mansion themed restaurant. With the recent success of themed dining, and the huge popularity of Haunted Mansion, this seems like a completely obvious addition. I did not want to remove Columbia Harbor House for it however, so I placed it to the north of the Mansion along the river. A new path could be built along the water to the Mansion Side House, set next to the graveyard, where there is a perpetual haunted Dinner taking place. The expanded interactive crypts are removed for this to work. 

The only alteration in this plan to Frontierland is to refurb Big Thunder Mountain Railroad so it has the explosive finale from the Disneyland version. The development is already done, so I don't know why this hasn't been done. 

Last, Adventureland has the biggest addition in my proposed plan. To balance the big addition of Tron on the other side of the park, I suggest the addition of the Indiana Jones Adventure to the south expansion area of Adventureland. Again, since this is an existing attraction, the development would be minimized. And we know this is a popular and high capacity attraction that would bring the crowds and be highly successful. It would be the biggest investment of everything I have in this plan, but if done a few years after Tron, it would be a great addition to the park. The queue would weave along the Jungle Cruise river towards a temple in the jungle. Inside the cave queues would look into the jungle cruise river and feature many scenes similar to the Disneyland Version. Instead of going underneath the train tracks, here the path leads above to a camouflaged rocky bridge to the showbuilding. 

The final addition is a ropes course attraction like the one recently opened at Shanghai Disneyland. This would fit perfectly into the space adjacent to the Swiss Family Treehouse, and would be a low cost but super unique addition to the park. 

Below are some enlarged views of the additions to the park. 

Again, these are all things that I really think could happen in the next 5-10 years and would benefit the park. The dream plan that is being worked on and will be posted soon is quite a bit bigger and more ambitious. 



So while we wait for that next post, let me know what you think about this strategy of realistic and dream plans. And leave a comment about what in this plan do you most wish would really happen. 

15 comments :

  1. Well to me my wishes for what plans i most wish and would really happen is that when Disney's Hollywood Studios or changed name of DHS is that when DHS get an never build land of Mickey's Movieland, and new land at DHS Cars Land if only if it fit. For Disney's Animal Kingdom i think where the space where train go from Africa to Rafiki's Planet Watch make land for an North America themed land because DAK had Africa and Asia and those are from the world to me North America will had an indoor special-effects show like Poseidon's Fury at Universal Orlando and all themed to Brother Bear, also 2 animal trail attractions the first one is called The Redwood Creek Animal Trail and the other one is The Mangrove Waters Trail, and maybe an classic Disneyland attraction from Frontierland comes to DAK i am talking about Journey Through Nature's Wonderland, and finally North America will had restaurants and shops for example The Golden Acorn Lodge is an Table Serve Restaurant like the Be Our Guest Restaurant & an new Space themed Restaurant at Epcot this table serve restaurant will also had screens of the beautiful landscape of the lake and some trees from the woods. and finally to me after when Walt Disney World celebrates there 50 anniversary i think a fifth gate theme park similar to Tokyo DisneySea, PortAventura and Universal's Islands of Adventure. That my wish for the parks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Some of that will definitely happen when I get to my plans for the other parks. Specifically the idea of more continents for Animal Kingdom. That's definitely in my plans. I'll get to that eventually!

      Delete
  2. As always, I'm very impressed by this post. The level of details in your park map is truly amazing. The ideas are really great and I think they all perfectly fit in Disney's current additions/modifications trends. I especially love the Haunted Mansion Ballroom restaurant, it is similar to the Blue Bayou/Captain Jack's restaurant, which has one of the best mood in the park.
    Big Hero 6 seems like a perfect fit in Tomorrowland, I woudln't be surprised if something similar happened somewhere during/after the 50th anniversary.
    The boldest move in your post is the addition to Indiana Jones Adventure to this park, which raises a question you have probably already thought of and planned to answer later: what will happen of Dinausor, which shares its ride system and track with IJA?

    I'm looking forward to see what you have in mind for the other parks of the resort.

    PS. Sorry for the long comment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, and its definitely not too long. I write way too much for my posts above, so I can handle a comment like this!

      Interesting that you say IJA is a bold move. I guess I agree since its a big attraction with a lot of infrastructure change involved, but its also a 22 year old attraction that's already been cloned twice (counting Dinosaur). So yeah I guess its bold, but I don't think its too crazy. Actually I think its more unlikely just because they wouldn't want to clone something so old. But I would love it if it happened. Or also if there was something even better. I will note that in my dream plan, I have something slightly different here.

      I don't think Dinosaur would be an issue. Its just like Spiderman and Transformers being in parks next to each other. If the theme is different enough, I think they could stand apart. Plus, I think non theme park fans like us may not even be able to tell unless they were told. That's been my experience.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good work. I can see some of this being implemented, like maybe a Haunted Mansion themed restaurant (though I’m not sure it would occupy the same place as in your plan), and I pretty much can see an Electric Autopia becoming inevitable assuming the ride stays in the next ten years, though I’m not sure we’d get a new Indiana Jones ride in Adventure Land like you showed above nor a new Alien Encounter, even though I’d absolutely love it.

    Anyways, for your dream plan for Magic Kingdom, I’m kind of hoping you keep certain aspects from your plan from two years ago, such of Discoveryland, New Orleans Square, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Great Western Stagecoach (though I would include a pathway leading to it that goes under Big Thunder Mountain if possible so as to not close Rivers of America), and the Jungle Theater.

    One big change I would however suggest making, since your no longer constrained by limits, is to expand Fantastyland even further, and try to use a lot of the land in between the train tracks to the North and New Fantasyland, connecting it to New Orleans Square. While I don’t want New Fantasyland to go away, I do think it’d be great if Fantasyland in general had more room to use. In this Dream plan maybe move Frozen Ever After to the larger New Fantasyland* and maybe add a Beauty and the Beast Dark Ride, as well as a ride dedicated to Sleeping Beauty.

    * - (I think there should be some level of continuity by the way, between each of your four dream WDW parks to each other, as well as continuity between the realistic parks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Well then you are going to like the MK plan in a week or two, because I've kept and expanded on a couple of those things! Its a different plan, but shares some elements since its still from me and I still have the same opinions about what I would like to see in the parks. And I am exploring expanding Fantasyland at the probably controversial expense of another attraction.

      And your right as well about the continuity between plans. I'm trying, at least roughly, to think of each as one big plan and coordinate what I add to each with each other, like what IPs and types of themed environments go where. There is still a lot to figure out past the MK, but I think it will work out. Hope you like it.

      Delete
    2. It's a Small World I'm guessing? I made the suggestion a few months ago in a previous post about moving and actually building a new building further north, with a facade based more on the Disneyland version to open up the area it currently is at to crowds. In fact I believe I made a few badly done images then that I showed you detailing some ideas I had on that:

      https://i.imgur.com/ImmIqrr.jpg

      https://i.imgur.com/MDA0ag0.jpg

      Delete
    3. Something like that... Still working it out though. So good idea!

      Delete
    4. Okay cool. Can't wait to see it. By the way, if you also want a link to the old image I also created last time, where I suggested having a path underneath Big Thunder Mountain in order to connect with The Great Western Stagecouch:

      https://i.imgur.com/ADm66Hr.jpg

      Delete
  5. One other thing I would like to point out, slightly seperate, is that for whenever you do your new Animal Kingdom plans, you should have the Dream Plan include Beastly Kingdom since the Realistic Plan will likely include Avatar's Pandora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thought. I'll include that one from a few months ago as an alternate.

      Delete
  6. My suggestion for you on your "Disney's Animal Kingdom" dream plan is:

    Leave Avatar's Pandora un-replaced, & make a new addition (ride or shop or etc) or 2 for Avatar's Pandora, & put Beastly Kingdom somewhere else in Animal Kingdom.

    & if you make a new land for Animal Kingdom named "Europe", you can put Beastly Kingdom near Europe & put connecting paths between these 2 lands.



    & here is my suggestion for your "Epcot Center/Epcot" dream plan:

    The dream plan takes place in a better future, not in an alternate universe or alternate future. & Epcot Center is now like the classic Epcot Center (1982-1995), only with modern updates!

    & Disney's "Frozen" & Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy" will move to other theme parks in Walt Disney World.

    & Test Track will be renamed back to World of Motion, & will have 2 rides: "World of Motion" & "Test Track".

    & "Universe of Energy" will return, & it will be a new version with no animatronic dinosaurs, because there are already animatronic dinosaurs in Dinoland in your 2015 Animal Kingdom plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. Some of that stuff is already in my planning, some not. Check back when I get to those parks, and we can talk about ideas for them then.

      Delete
  7. Can you do another One? Because i would like to add cancelled things such as the enchanted snow palace western River expedition and more stuff like the Harry Potter land

    ReplyDelete