Saturday, August 26, 2017

My EPCOT City Model

Here's a different kind of post.

So I like to build models. I learned to build models during my recent years in architecture school and over the 5 years, I built a lot of them. I had access to a laser cutter, so I was able to build some pretty cool things that I would never be able to do by hand. I realized before leaving that I needed to take advantage of that access and make something that I always wanted. 

So I lasercut and built a model of EPCOT City.




Why the original EPCOT City? Because besides being a legendary part of Disney history, it is a really fascinating example of urban planning theory and I often wonder if it would have actually worked. It's very closely related to the Garden City concept by Ebenezer Howard, a 19th century urban design philosophy of planned cities formed of concentric zones of use, all surrounded by a green belt. 

The overall concept was a melding of the benefits of town and country in one city. The urban core was the best of city life, and the surrounding radial parks, green belts, and suburbs allowed residents to escape and relax. The idea was that the city would be a limited size and then instead of growing, a new city would be developed nearby with all its own infrastructure and systems. The cities would then be linked into a network of equal and complimentary garden towns. A few garden cities were built, but they were never embraced on a large enough scale to really be tested or perfected, so the concept never spread.

This concept is astonishingly like at we know of the original EPCOT concept. Walt apparently looked into the research of Howard, so it is not surprising that he went this route. I believe his vision was for it to be a real scale, modern test case of his own urban city concept. It was an idealistic and utopian plan to make the perfect city, and the first was meant to be in Florida. But we know the history, and again, it has to remain just a theoretical concept. 

So that's the big reason why I am really interested in the original EPCOT City, aside from the original EPCOT Center park. It's fascinating architectural theory and a huge what if situation. 

As you know from this blog, I also like maps, so decided I wanted a map model of the original City concept. Imagineering Disney had built one a few years ago, and made a post about theirs, but that one was a bit more complicated and realistic than I wanted. I wanted something that really showcased the diagrammatic pattern of the city.




The process here was simple. I found a bunch of images online of the original city plan and various photos of the original model for reference. I then traced the plan in Autocad. There are minor discrepancies between many of the images I found online, so there's a bit of combining in some places, but what I drew is as true as I could get to the original concept.




Then I set up the plan with all the layers I would need to build the model and laser cut it. Assembly was quick as it is pretty small and formed of only a couple layers for the most of it.



The most detail is at the center of the city, with the massive enclosed core with multiple towers rising above. There's a few different versions of this area in the various images and models, but this is my interpretation of how it could have worked based on that information.




I've wondered if I should paint it, but I think I would ruin it. I think I prefer it as the diagrammatic model that shows the pattern of the city. That's the important part to me. Also, maybe I'll make a bigger and better version in the future. Tracing the file was actually the most involved part of this. The model now sits on the wall right above my desk as good inspiration. This is the only Disney related model that I have built so far, and now that I no longer have access to a laser cutter, it is a bit more difficult. But maybe there will be more one day.

What kinds of Disney related models would you want to build? I have a couple others in mind, but want to hear your thoughts.

7 comments :

  1. If you could do this again, I love to see you make a 3d print of your version of the Disney World parks.

    Also whenever you do end up redoing your Disney World plans, would you do an idealized version of the parks, or something more like your version of the future of the parks? I'd perfer a more idealized version, as Disney lately have been making everything so disconnected in theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to 3d print some stuff eventually. But need to find access and a cheap enough way to do it. There were a couple things I wanted to do when I could still get use of one at school, but never got around to it.

      When I do my WDW parks plans, I'm thinking about doing two versions. A realistic, budget based, what could actually happen in the next 10 years kind of plan. And a full on blue sky, what I would do if there were no limits kind of plan. I think that parallel could be fun.

      Stil working on drawing the base plans for the parks. That step takes frustratingly long.

      Delete
  2. Hey Imagineerland i know your busy doing new things for 4 disney parks for your WDW future posts for this fall in the year 2017, In 2018 can you do more theme park projects i create a list:

    Hong Kong Disneyland's Second Gate

    Shanghai Disneyland

    Another Disney International Park similar what you did from your Sydney Disneyland project maybe in Canada, United Kingdom, Singapore or Dubai

    Walt Disney World's Fifth Gate, Similar parks to Tokyo DisneySea, PortAventura & Islands of Adventure

    Universal Studios Florida, you know the first park opening on June 7, 1990

    Disneyland Paris Third Gate, Similar parks to Tokyo DisneySea & PortAventura

    That's All for Now i hope you make some parks if you do free to like to or if not then that's okay i will wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering where you went to school for architecture. I am currently a senior in high school planning to go to college for architecture/design. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, send me an email. I can give you some more specific architecture school advice that would be easier over email than a comment here.

      Also, this is worth looking at. http://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/11865-americas-top-architecture-schools-2017

      Delete
  4. Is there a chance that you have the original autocad file? I'm looking for a clean/clear map of the original Epcot plan. The file you used seems to be the clearest I've been able to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice work you've done there, i really appreciate you enthusiasm about the subject, as an architecture student im not really too much into urban design, but i must admit is interesting seeing how far people like this go to plan the future, even if its never fulfilled.

    I would like to know if there is a chance you could share the CAD file of the design, i would really love to make a 3d model of the city in SketchUp or even try to recreate it in Cities Skylines, Thank You.

    ReplyDelete